Twitter Updates

A Teacher and Her Family

Friday, November 20, 2009

My son Ethan was a busy boy when he was young. Full of energy and a will of his own. He liked to talk in class and he LOVED to answer questions without raising his hand. I think his K and 1st grade teachers didn't know what to do with him. He was bright but I think they'd say he wasn't all that well-behaved. Miss Shainline changed our lives. She understood immediately that Ethan was bored and she gave him assignments to keep him engaged. He also allowed him to help other classmates with their work. This was a win win for Ethan and the other kids. He stopped talking out loud. He settled down. My life, during second grade, became easier...all because of one teacher who really took the time to figure out my son. Today he is a straight A student and I credit it all to Miss Shainline. I've said thank you, but I really wanted to say thank you somehow.


On a beautiful Sunday I went to her house to spend some time with her and her family. Her son reminds me of Ethan at that age..very busy and curious. Running here and there. Exploring. All the typical things boys do. Here are some of the shots, and from the bottom of my heart I'll say it again to Miss Shainline: Thank you for what you did for Ethan. You are a shining example of how one teacher can change a life.


Here's Flash the dog:


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The happy family


Photobucket


Fun with mom


Photobucket


I truly couldn't think of a better name for this dog. Flash is perfect!


Photobucket


Love this.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


...and finally a shot of Miss Shainline!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Angela said...

I love Flash! He is adorable!!

Keri said...

I can only hope that a parent of one of my students thinks the same of me one day! It truly does make all of the extra work (and worry)worth it when a parent tells you how important you were to a child and their family! That was very thoughtful of you, D.