Twitter Updates

10,000 Hours

Tuesday, November 25, 2008





Do you have 10,000 hours?  Let me explain.  I just read the book Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell, and one of the things it said was that in order to be really great at something you need to devote at least 10,000 hours to it.  Sure, you need the talent and the drive, but really that practice makes a huge difference when you are talking about being good at something vs. being the best at something.  Think about Michael Jordan.  Sure he had the natural talent to be a good basketball player, but he spent countless hours playing/practicing basketball; consequently, he arguably was the best (or one of the best) basketball players to ever play the game.  And that made all the difference. So, I ask:  Do you have 10,000 hours?  


Part of me thinks that I were younger, I'd say yes.   I'd also say that this helps explain why I am always taking pictures.....it can only help, right?  Anyway, while I summarize the book rather too quickly, the book was well-written and very informative and entertaining.  I highly recommend it. 

0 comments: